Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Welcome to Travelin' Shoes...


This blog is for those of us of a certain age and yet, not silver haired, who find hostels a "hostile" environment and who still want to see the world on a budget.
For whom perhaps dinner in a restaurant alone is a very scary notion.
Who hope to find out of the ordinary pensions and apartments to stay in, and to have the adventure of their life.

I am a woman, 40, who took it upon herself to travel alone through Europe. While looking through the exhaustive literature and travel tips, I realized I did not fit nicely into most of the travel niches.

I was not backpacking and staying in hostels.
I was not aboard a tour with 20 other individual travelers.
I was certainly not a family taking in Europe from park to park.
I was not of the " Sex and the City " set who wine and dine in luxury, and I was NOT part of a traveling couple.
I was leaving my other half at home to care for our home and furry beasties so I could do this unencumbered by worry.

Blech-really, where is my book of friendly tips and advice?
I was not represented?
Surely there are other women like myself 34-45 ish with a small roll along bag, (not a backpack) at least one pair of not so sensible shoes, and a curiosity for the world?

Okay so I did it anyway, without a book.
I beat my fears back, grabbed hold of the screaming voice of doubt and insecurity and took off to Europe for two months.
Seriously, I had never even eaten lunch in a restaurant by myself prior to this.
What was I thinking?
It started (as a friend coined) "Kimmee Go Clunky" but became a much steadier ride by the end of two months.

I will offer my journey here with you.
I hope to inspire a little confidence building for you to quiet your own screaming " you can't travel alone" voice and follow that dream.



Comments welcome and encouraged.


No comments:

Post a Comment